Writing a Simple Customer Appreciation Letter (with Sample) Use this sample customer appreciation letter as a template for your formal appreciation letter. Last updated on January 16th, 2019
A customer appreciation letter is a type of formal business communication that is used to maintain long term professional relationships. Some of the reasons for sending an appreciation letter are to recognize a loyal customer, a first-time customer or to appreciate something a customer did such as bring in a new client.
This type of letter helps maintain a positive rapport between a business and its customers. It not only improves the business atmosphere, it may also help bring new customers through valuable word-of-mouth. It's more likely that a business will make a sale to an already loyal customer than a new one. While it is important to constantly find new markets, it's just as important to keep current customers coming back. In some cases, a business can express appreciation to its customers by giving rewards such as discounts. This may be a great marketing tool, but the value of a customer appreciation letter cannot be overstated. It is a simple, yet thoughtful thing to do and makes a good impression.
Some tips for writing an appreciation letter:
• The letter should be addressed to the customer by name. The sender should make sure they have the correct spelling, title and address. Any inaccuracies could undermine the credibility of the letter. It should not be addressed to the name of the business or To Whom It May Concern.
• The letter should be personal to the customer. It should address a loyal customer, a returning customer or a new customer. The tone will be different for each type of customer. For example, it may be more informal for a long standing customer and have a more formal tone for a new customer.
• The sender should state their name and/or the name of their company and say why they are writing the letter. • The tone of the letter should be warm, honest and professional. It should not sound overly sentimental. Flowery language may sound insincere. It should also not sound too formal. Professionalism can be informal.
• The reason for appreciation should be clearly and specifically stated and sincerely express why it warrants appreciation. The reason for the letter should not be vague or ambiguous.
This could make the letter seem impersonal, and the main point of this letter is that it is personal. It is a good idea to ask an outsider to read the letter to determine if the letter sounds sincere. If not, it could have the opposite effect on the customer.
• The letter should clearly say thank you.
• The sender can include a free sample, coupon or other gift if they want. This is optional.
• The letter should be printed on company letterhead, and posted through the mail with the correct amount of postage.
• If there are other products or services that you think the customer may find interesting, you can mention them in the letter. Only things relevant to the customer’s business should be mentioned.
Here is a sample of a customer appreciation letter that can be modified for different situations.
Customer Appreciation Letter Sample Letterhead of Company
Sender’s Name Sender’s Company Sender’s Address City, State, Zip Code
Customer’s Name Customer’s Company Customer’s Address City, State, Zip Code
Dear Name of Customer,
I am the STATE POSITION of the NAME OF COMPANY and would like to express my gratitude to you for being a loyal customer to our company for the past three years. Thanks to customers like you, this has been one of our most profitable years.
I realize that you could have taken your business to any of several other companies in the locality, but have kept us as your premier choice and I thank you for that. Next year, we are introducing several other Name Products and/or Services that you may find useful, and I would be happy to discuss them with you at your convenience.
As a token of our appreciation for your patronage, we will give you a 10 percent discount on your next order. We will continue our commitment to give you the best service and products available and look forward to a mutually beneficial professional relationship in the future.
Sincerely, Sender’s signature Sender’s Name Sender’s Title